Asparagus with garlic and herbs
Thu 28 Jul 2022 19:51:14 PDT
(Fri 15 Dec 2017 11:18:00 PST)
- Aparagus, trimmed 1 lb
- Corn starch ~2 tsp
- Fresh herbs†, chopped 2 tsp
- Mushroom or chicken stock 1/2-1 cup
- Garlic, chopped fine 1 tsp
- Lime juice, freshly squeezed 1/4-1/2 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar, OPTIONAL 1/2 tsp
- Butter, unsalted 2 tbsp
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water, immediately cool in cold water. (Aparagus will hold for a while until ready to cook.)
- When ready, melt butter in skillet, add corstarch, stir until smooth.
- Put drained asparagus in pan over medium heat. Stir for a minute or so until all asparagus is exposed to hot butter/starch roux.
- Add herbs and stir for several seconds.
- Add stock, stir thoroughly, mixture should thicken nicely.
- Cook for about one minute, add garlic, salt, pepper, lime juice (and vinegar if used) and continue cooking until sauce is well-blended.
- Adjust seasoning. If necessary add stock to thin sauce, or cook down to thicken. As a last resort add more cornstarch stirred in stock if sauce is too thin.
- Serve immediately.
About Thinair Recipes
Recipes developed with low-sodium diets in mind—so easy to use!
Here's a quick guide:
Recipes have one or more “boxed” ingredient lists grouped with step-by-step instructions, for example:
- garlic, chopped 3 cloves
- chicken stock 2 cups
- ...other ingredients...
- Saute garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken stock to pan...
- ...next step...
Ingredient boxes show what you'll need for the numbered steps. Not too complicated!
BTW “salt” in our recipes refers to salt substitute, i.e., potassium chloride, KCl. (Since KCl may not be healthy for some people, ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use it.)