- Black-eyed peas, cooked 1½ cups
- Chicken stock 1 cup
- Garlic, chopped 2-3 cloves
- Carrot, chopped 1 small
- Celery, chopped 1 rib
- Garbanzo bean flour 1¼ tsp
- Salt, pepper to taste
- In a saucepan saute garlic, carrot, celery in olive oil until soft
- Add blackeye peas, saute for a few minutes
- Add 1/2 of chicken stock and the garbanzo flour.
- Continue cooking, stirring peas until mixture thickens.
- Add chicken stock as necessary until medium consistency, that is, not too thick.
- Herbs, spices (see below†) ad lib
- Add seasonings, including salt and ground black pepper.
- Serve at warm temp. With Mexican-style flavoring, an excellent substitute for other beans.
Place in pressure cooker with water to cover peas by an inch or so. You can add garlic cloves, bay leaf, sage leaves, etc. Close the lid and heat until cooking pressure is reached. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 min. Take off heat and let cool naturally. That's it!
About Thinair Recipes
Recipes developed with low-sodium diets in mind—so easy to use!
Here's a quick guide:
Recipes have one or more “boxed” ingredient lists grouped with step-by-step instructions, for example:
- garlic, chopped 3 cloves
- chicken stock 2 cups
- ...other ingredients...
- Saute garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken stock to pan...
- ...next step...
Ingredient boxes show what you'll need for the numbered steps. Not too complicated!
BTW “salt” in our recipes refers to salt substitute, i.e., potassium chloride, KCl. (Since KCl may not be healthy for some people, ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use it.)