Red Salsa Enchiladas
- chilis, dried, large (ancho) ~5 chilis
- garlic 4 clove
- salt to taste
- Remove stems and seeds from chilis, then simmer in water for 10 min or until adequately hydrated.
- Process soaked chilis and garlic in blender until smooth.
- In saucepan, simmer for 20 min.
- ground meat 1/2 lb
- garlic, chopped 3 clove
- onion, chopped 1/4 cup
- cumin, ground 2 tsp
- Saute garlic and onion until soft.
- Add cumin and saute for ~1 min.
- Add meat, cook until just done.
- red enchilada sauce, per above 1 cup
- sour cream 1/4 cup
- cheese, cheddar, shredded ~1/2 oz
- Off heat, add sauce, cheese, sour cream to meat mixture.
- If necessary, add tomato sauce, or canned/crushed tomatoes with sauteed garlic/herbs to make 2 1/2 cups or more sauce.
- corn tortillas 6
- cheddar, shredded 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 9x12 baking pan. Put thin layer of red sauce on bottom of pan.
- Heat tortillas to make flexible.
- Fill tortilla with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup filling mixture. Roll up tortilla and place in pan seam side down.
- After all tortillas placed into dish, spread remaining sauce over top of enchiladas.
- Add sour cream on top of enchiladas, top with shredded cheese.
- Cover dish with aluminum foil. Bake at 350°F for 15 min, remove foil, bake for additional 10 min to melt cheese.
About Thinair Recipes
Recipes developed with low-sodium diets in mind—so easy to use!
Here's a quick guide:
Recipes have one or more “boxed” ingredient lists grouped with step-by-step instructions, for example:
- garlic, chopped 3 cloves
- chicken stock 2 cups
- ...other ingredients...
- Saute garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken stock to pan...
- ...next step...
Ingredient boxes show what you'll need for the numbered steps. Not too complicated!
BTW “salt” in our recipes refers to salt substitute, i.e., potassium chloride, KCl. (Since KCl may not be healthy for some people, ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use it.)