Lamb Meatball Curry
Sat 16 Sep 2017 19:18:08 PDT
- lamb, ground 1 lb.
- cumin, ground 1 tbsp
- ginger, fresh, chopped 1 tbsp
- salt 1/2 tsp
- black pepper 1/2 tsp
- Mix ground lamb with cumin, ginger, salt, pepper.
- Form into meatballs about 1-1¼ in. diameter.
- clarified butter 1-2 tbsp
- In a cast-iron skillet, brown meatballs in clarified butter, making sure all sides of the meatballs are exposed to the hot fat. Should take ~2-3 minutes to saute the lamb.
- When done, set aside to drain on paper towel.
- garlic, chopped 2-3 large cloves
- onion, white/yellow, chopped 1/2 bulb
- cumin, ground 2 tsp
- coriander, ground 1 tbsp
- turmeric, fresh, chopped† 5-6 g (1/2 "finger")
- mustard seeds, dried 1 tsp
- allspice, ground 1/2 tsp
- water 1/2 cup
- lime juice 1-2 tsp
- tomato, canned, pureed or chopped 2 tbsp
- salt, pepper to taste
- Add another tablespoon of clarified butter to the pan if needed.
- Saute mustard seeds until they "pop", then add onion and garlic until they begin to soften. If using fresh turmeric, peel and chop, then saute with onion and garlic until softened.
- Add ground spices and saute briefly. Then add water and chopped tomato. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to adjust seasoning as desired.
- Put meatballs back in skillet. Mix everything and let simmer for 5 minutes or until meatballs are adequately cooked through. Internal temp should be 155°F (temp will increase around 5°F while "resting").
- frozen or fresh peas ~1 cup
- water 1/4 cup
- If using peas, put water in pan, heat until simmering. Add peas, cover and cook until peas heated through.
- Can hold for 15 min or more. When meal is ready, serve curry. Basmati rice goes well with it.
†Use 1 tsp ground turmeric if fresh is unavailable.
Categories: meats Indian
About Thinair Recipes
Recipes developed with low-sodium diets in mind—so easy to use!
Here's a quick guide:
Recipes have one or more “boxed” ingredient lists grouped with step-by-step instructions, for example:
- garlic, chopped 3 cloves
- chicken stock 2 cups
- ...other ingredients...
- Saute garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken stock to pan...
- ...next step...
Ingredient boxes show what you'll need for the numbered steps. Not too complicated!
BTW “salt” in our recipes refers to salt substitute, i.e., potassium chloride, KCl. (Since KCl may not be healthy for some people, ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use it.)