Baked Szechuan-style swordfish
- Swordfish steak, ~5 oz 5 pieces
- Chinese rice wine 1/4 cup
- Molasses 1½ tsp
- Salt ~1/2 tsp
- Rice wine vinegar 1/2 tsp
- Clam juice 3 tbsp
- Ginger, chopped 2 tsp
- Green onions, chopped fine 5
- Place fish steaks in dish or bowl. Pour mixed merinade over fish, turn fish so all sides are exposed to merinade mixture.
- Merinate fish for at least 1 hour, then turn and continue merinating for 1 more hour.
- Vegetable oil, neutral taste 3 tbsp
- Chili paste 1/2 - 1 tsp
- Szechuan peppcorn, roasted, fine ground 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper 1 or 2 grinds
- Salt to taste
- Mix ingredients, let stand at room temperature for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. When ready to cook fish, place fish steaks in oiled roasting dish, but don't crowd them in.
- Using a pastry brush, evenly coat the tops of each steak with basting mix.
- Bake for ~10-15 min. Time is not reliable guide to doneness, use thermometer to check internal temperature of thickest steak. Remove from oven when temp reaches 120°F. (Temp rises >=5°F during rest.) Fish easily overcooks so be sure to measure temp carefully and take fish out of oven promptly.
- After removing from oven, cover baking dish with aluminum foil, let fish rest for 5-10 min. before serving (so juices stabilize).
About Thinair Recipes
Recipes developed with low-sodium diets in mind—so easy to use!
Here's a quick guide:
Recipes have one or more “boxed” ingredient lists grouped with step-by-step instructions, for example:
- garlic, chopped 3 cloves
- chicken stock 2 cups
- ...other ingredients...
- Saute garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken stock to pan...
- ...next step...
Ingredient boxes show what you'll need for the numbered steps. Not too complicated!
BTW “salt” in our recipes refers to salt substitute, i.e., potassium chloride, KCl. (Since KCl may not be healthy for some people, ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use it.)