Turkey burgers with tomato garnish
- ground turkey 1 lb.
- garlic, chopped fine 2-3 cloves
- shortening (optional) 1 tbsp
- jalapeno chopped fine (optional) 2 tbsp
- basil chopped fine 1 tbsp
- smoked paprika 1 tsp
- five-spice powder 1 tsp
- molasses 1 tsp
- black pepper a few grinds
- salt 1/2 tsp, or to taste
- Mix all ingredients well. Form loosely into patties. Saute over low-medium heat in cast iron skillet with a few tablsesppons olive oil.
- Give burgers about 5 min on each side. After a couple of minutes on second side reduce heat and cover skillet to assure burgers are cooked through. (Internal temp should be 165°F.)
- Remove burgers from pan to dish while preparing garnish in same pan.
- Alternatively, burgers could be grilled on an outdoor charcoal/gas grill. Depending on the grill's setup the initial browning step may not be necessary.
- tomato sauce 1-2 cups
- garlic, finely chopped 2 cloves
- chicken stock 1/2 cup
- white wine/vermouth 1/2 cup
- Remove all but 1 tbsp oil from burger skillet. Saute garlic in oil. Add wine, scrape up all residue in skillet, dissolving in boiling wine.
- Put in chicken stock while continuing to stir. Then add tomato sauce. Correct seasoning with salt/black pepper.
Excellent with chick pea flatbread or other sandwich-like preparations. And lentils with tomato and balsamic vinagrette goes great with these burgers.
About Thinair Recipes
Recipes developed with low-sodium diets in mind—so easy to use!
Here's a quick guide:
Recipes have one or more “boxed” ingredient lists grouped with step-by-step instructions, for example:
- garlic, chopped 3 cloves
- chicken stock 2 cups
- ...other ingredients...
- Saute garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken stock to pan...
- ...next step...
Ingredient boxes show what you'll need for the numbered steps. Not too complicated!
BTW “salt” in our recipes refers to salt substitute, i.e., potassium chloride, KCl. (Since KCl may not be healthy for some people, ask your doctor if it's OK for you to use it.)